Pages

Mar 12, 2012

Colour me gorgeous

I often allude to my love of colour and this blog is just another example of that love of colour. Bright colours and open airy spaces appeal to me and make me feel energised. Dark, drab colours and shadowed spaces depress me and slow me down. So how much influence do you think that colours have on our behaviours and our personalities?
Do you know what the colours mean - I posted this list in 2010 on my Inspiration to Dream blog, but it seemed fitting to put it here as well.

Red is often considered a stimulant, and invariably draws attention.
Orange is fun and flamboyant and radiates warmth and energy.
Yellow is optimistic, enlightening, and happy.
Green symbolises new growth and freshness. Some shades of green are considered ‘institutional’ and are associated with illness and government-issued green cards which conjures up negative emotions, as do the "slimy" or "bilious" greens.
Blue is seen as trustworthy, dependable, and committed.
Purple has mystical and royal qualities and is often well liked by very creative or eccentric types.
Pink can be youthful, fun, and exciting, and some have the same high energy as red; they are sensual and passionate without being too aggressive.
Brown says stability, reliability, and approachability and sometimes is considered drab and boring.
Gray is the color of intellect, knowledge, and wisdom.
Black is authoritative and powerful; because black can evoke strong emotions, too much can be overwhelming.
White projects purity, cleanliness, and neutrality. There's a wealth of books and websites which discuss the psychology of colour and our personalities but let me share some of my favourites for you.

Carolyn Kalil is a career counsellor and on her True Colours website she asks the question 'Are you a thinker, always analyzing, like a GREEN? Do you prefer inspiring people and building their self-esteem as a BLUE? Are you the responsible one who is always on time and keeping everyone else on time like a GOLD? Or do you thrive on entertaining and persuading people, like an ORANGE?'

It's worth taking the free quiz that Carolyn offers - mine was fairly accurate - I'm a BLUE

This is another useful site, but before you visit this Colour Psychology website, make sure you have in mind what your favourite colour is so that you can see what it says about you. Once your faced with all the colours and meanings it can get a little confusing - well it did for me anyway.

and to finish off on my love of colour, here's a beautiful poem by Grace E. Easley which you can find here.

I'll paint you a rainbow

I'll paint you a rainbow to hang on the wall,
to brighten your heart when the gray shadows fall.
On a canvas of joy outlasting the years,
with a soft brush of sweetness to dry all your tears.
I'll paint you a rainbow with colors of smiles
That glow with sincerity over the miles.
On a palette of words I will tenderly blend
Tones into treasures of sunlight and wind.

I'll paint you a rainbow that reaches so wide,
Your sights and your sorrows will vanish inside,
And deep in the center of each different hue,
A memory fashioned especially for you.
So lift up your eyes, for suspended above,
A rainbow designed by the fingers of love...

Cheers, Fi

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind ~ Emily Bronte

1 comment:

  1. "I'll Paint You A Rainbow" is now available on youtube.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIT8OJPOjA

    ReplyDelete

Growing and improving starts with sharing our experiences - so why not start right here and share your thoughts.